.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Friday, February 23, 2007

Day 3 out of 6 - only 3 more to go!

Well, tonight was my last evening doing a PM shift before doing 3 mornings in a row ... all up it is 6 days straight ... it is normally 5 days ... so I actually have a 3 day break afterwards & yes, you guessed, I am taking off ... bugger Sydney ... I want to be somewhere where I have close to 0 responsiblity ... yep, you guessed it ... my bro & sis-in-law's place!! Ah, bless!! :D

Anyway, that is still three shifts away ... I have to admit I am nervous about tomorrow morning ... it is a lot busier in the mornings ... but I do have more support ... thankfully!

Well, this shift wasn't overly bad ... I had the same teamleader as last night ... when I realised this, I almost cried on the spot .. yep, that's the kind of effort she has on me .... & then I discovered she is on tomorrow morning ... bloody hell!!! I just prayed for a good shift!!

And then in handover, they basically all ganged up against New Grads ... we are all really new to giving GOOD handover ... it was bad enough that they made mean comments & made fun of our efforts but then, when one girl kept saying Um, um, um ... and was really slow ... they stopped it, & one of them just turned to me & said "That is bloody annoying .. I never want to catch you doing that ... if I catch you doing that I will be really pissed off ... don't do it! If you need to catch your thoughts put the tape on pause" Even tho, I was in shock ... I had the dignity to reply ... "You do realise that isn't me, right? I may be a New Grad but that isn't me!! I didn't do that!" (thankfully, someone had kindly commented to me last week that speaking fast in handover is a really good idea ... thank goodness for that, huh?) Man!! So, here I was thinking "this is going to be a really shitty shift!!"

It didn't help that I did majority of the afternoon chores by myself ... let me clarify ... before handover we have a list of chores that need doing to keep the ward stored up with supplies, the resusciation trolley is up to date etc. ... normally, we are running around doing them quickly for handover & then have a inservice of some kind e.g. education is so important & little refreshers!! :D Anyway, there was no inservice today so we took our time with the chores ... so much so that I did 8 out of 10!! That kinda reenforced the idea that maybe, just maybe, this shift was not going to be good.

I really had not wanted to go in for this shift ... I was praying super hard for a good shift.

I had 6 pts .. a bit better ... than one was for a transfer to a different hospital, two were selfcaring & fine in bed, & the dreaded confused patient (he had pulled out his catheter in the morning ... that is really unpleasant ... the catheter tubing is inserted up the urether & a small balloon is blown up so the catheter won't fall out ... for a patient to pull the catheter out with the small balloon blown up, they put themselves in lots of pain & really only a confused patient does that!!) was actually quite settled & no real complaints with him.

But since a patient pulled out their cannula (flexible needle in his arm) this morning, i had to put in a S/C (subcutanous - just under the skin) butterfly needle (semi- permanent cannula) on the patient's back ... I hadn't done one of them for ages .. it actually went okay ... just got to remember to pinch the skin & go in at an 40 angle! :)

Anyway, everything worked out okay with my patients ... they were lovely again ... and I actually rang up a Dr re: treatment of a patient ... it was a bit scary to talk to him but thankfully one of the nurses was really cool about helping me out. Actually, the other RN down my end was the best ... he was great ... when I was getting ready to call the doctor ... he just said, pretend you are having a conversation with me & look at me while you are on the phone ... so then he did all different funny poses saying ":Look at me ... you know you want to!" etc. He was a crack up ... actually the team leader has started to make comments like "are you single? the correct answer is you are married ... b/c that RN is single!" And then later, when he made some comment how he smelt after working the shift ... she made some comment about how he needs to do something about it b/c how am I (as in Shaz) going to sleep with him if he is smelly!!!"

That poor RN actually checked with me later & apologised if I felt uncomfortable etc. :p I just liked the fact I wasn't getting yelled at ... being able to muck around with your co-workers helps so bloody much!! :D

But I had fun with him later ... I had to put some cream on some swollen testicles ... and the RN was teasing me how since I am a goodie SDA girl, he was expecting me to blush & get all uncomfortable ... hee hee, well, I kinda left him thinking that I have seen a fair number of testicles ... and not just in the hospital either!! :D

That RN helped make the shift ... he was great!! :D (But don't worry, there is a decade in difference in age ... & I don't date work mates ... so hopefully the only reference i will have to him will be that he is great to work with!!)

Anyway, this whole shift went a lot better & I am slowly figuring out how the super tough as nails teamleader works ... hopefully, things go well tomorrow .. I am nervous .. it has been 12 days since I last did a morning ... hopefully, I can stay on top of things!! Hopefully!! :D

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Wow, how did I get so behind in reading your blogging!!!

Shaz, I'm glad things are looking better - sounds like your first few days have kinda sucked arse :( Becky said it well though. I love you and if you hang in there through the tough spots, you'll come out on top. You are amazing!!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home