.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Thursday, February 08, 2007

What's our problem?

As this outspoken, strong woman educates us about the life of a nurse, she stuffs up. She swears.
"Oh, sh##, oh man, I'm so sorry. As you can guess I am not SDA". The very next day, her co-worker who has some similiar characteristics does the exact same thing. And again she says "Yep, I'm not SDA as you can most likely tell".

Don't know if I should tell these ladies that most of the people who work at this private, upper class SDA hospital are not SDA ... except for the ones in administration positions, of course?!

Why do we (each of us) typically sterotype others (& ourselves) as soon as we meet them? Why do we have to place them in a box and restrict who we believe them to be?

I find it interesting that many of my friends who appear to be quite conservative have a range of interests which do not fit that typical, traditional SDA box. One of my friends loves shooting guns, another loves rock concerts, other things include dancing, doing donuts in cars, clubbing, faking organsms in public, yelling various names of the human anatomy louder & louder, or even enjoying having extremely interesting oral sex. All of a sudden, the box doesn't fit anymore.

Beginning my New Grad program as a RN is extremely nerve racking. I start to place myself in a box: I am still a student ... I don't know enough ... I won't be able to make it ... I can't do it. I also start to place those around me in a box: look at that nurse ... wow, she is so smart ... I bet she never screws up ... I bet she stays in every night & studies up on all the diseases her patient has; or look at that other New Grad ... wow, we were in the same class & I don't remember half of the stuff that is coming out of their mouth ... where did they learn that? ... man, they are going to get staff member of the month so soon.

Placing people in boxes is natural but not correct. By doing so, we are limiting ourselves & others. Mainly, we restrict the wonderful opportunities we could have in developing a great friendship with another person due to intimidation, awe & fear caused by sterotyping.

We need to have a healthy view of ourselves and realise that no one is perfect, including that "perfect" person on the other side of the room.

Marianne Williamson says in Return to Love:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagination.
It is our light more than our darkness which scares us.
We ask ourselves – who are we to be brilliant, beautiful, talented, and fabulous.
But honestly, who are you to not be so?

You are a child of God, small games do not work in this world.
For those around us to feel peace, it is not example to make ourselves small.
We were born to express the glory of god that lives in us.
It is not in some of us, it is in all of us.
While we allow our light to shine, we unconsciously give permission for others to do the same. When we liberate ourselves from our own fears, simply our presence may liberate others."

Why not make it a purpose today to make sure the box does not fit ... push yourself out of your comfort zone in trying something new ... find out more about people around you ... break those sterotypes and discover the REAL potential that everyone has

5 Comments:

Blogger Becky Daniel said...

i've always loved that poem. thanks for being inspiring, shaz!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Sweet Onion said...

Ok.

So I've been kind of worried about our V-Day party that Charis is hosting at our house, and it would definitely be stepping out of the box for me. Maybe I'll try to embrace that instead of worrying about it. Eh? Good step, yes? :D

It's a vagina party. ANd Brandon is coming. Poor naive boy is gonna flip a lid or pass out or puke or end up being a huge vagina lover by the end of it. OR SOMETHING.

We are calling it the "Vagina Party" but it's about stopping violence against women.

Traditionally, men have taken sexual advantage of women via their vaginas and also women view that part of themselves with disdain.

And so Charis is throwing this party to create awareness and to help people view their sexuality with positiveness instead of negative feelings. I support that.

It's just awkward since there will be half males there, AND it's a Christian institution AND it's kind of a private part of the body and a private topic. But Charis.

That Charis. She isn't satisfied unless she can scare the hell out of society by shocking them.

And I'm being shocked. :D I support the grand ideals of this party in spite of the shock. It's just hard for me to wrap my brain around it all--because there will be vagina-themed everything, from cup-cakes to pizza buns to banners saying "Vagina Warriors" and vagina trivia.

Yeah. I'll try not to die of mortification myself. It will be good for me.

2:10 PM  
Blogger blue nurse said...

Wow!! Jen!! What a brilliant idea! :D I mean, I was thinking V-day was standing for Valentine's Day but wow!! That is awesome!! Of course, I physically can't go to it so I guess I able to offer all my support!! :D It is a brilliant idea tho! Charis is a genius! Sexuality can be such a tricky topic and one that doesn't really get talked about a lot esp. in conservative homes & private schools! Good on her for breaking out of the norm! :D And even tho, I can imagine it be awkward having guys there that is a good thing too - it ensures that it won't become a guy hating group ... even tho I am sure that wouldn't happen, it is always good to have a backup plan like inviting the guys. And it also teaches them to respect girls! :D Just brilliant! Hopefully it goes well! :D Good luck with it ... maybe try to pretend you don't have a vagina (know what I mean?) to help with the embarrassment or whatever :P good luck!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Or make the guys pretend they do have one...

Yeah this party should be really interesting and educational. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

You have made some excellent points, Shaz - I really love the idea of allowing ourselves and others to be "fabulous" beyond anyone's wildest dreams! It doesn't get much more exciting than that...

Oh and thanks for trying to call - hopefully it will work out next time! (surprising is a cool idea, but I'm also out and about quite often - don't feel bad if you don't catch me)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Sweet Onion said...

The vagina party was a smashing hit! It was so amazing and moving and it really helped me and changed some of my own thinking on things. It was just powerful having lots of people there, and talking about sexuality in a very mature way, and the spirit of all present. And then Charis read this amazing monologue about the women in Croatia who were in rape camps, and Nate and Boris finished off with a spoof from Xena, the Warrior Queen (or whatever it is called). It was completely RAD!!

Afterwards a small group stayed until about midnight, and we talked about feminism, sexuality, struggles--everything. You should have been there, yes indeed. I'm so glad I was there! That Charis. She makes me nervous sometimes but in the end, it all works out jolly good.

Glad to see you are "surviving" work even though it sounds stressful! Remember... big paycheck, helping people... best of both worlds combined.

Chau chau!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home