.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Why do we have to constantly prove ourselves?

Well, today i did something stupid ... think all other NG RNs on my ward (total of 4) wanted to kill me ... the team leader was going to give us each 3 patients & I popped up and asked for 4 (reason: we should be able to handle having 5 or 6 on our own by Friday & after that, we won't be assigned to an RN & have someone to help us etc.) which is what the Educator told us to have.

Ok, so traditionally, I am a teacher's pet (maybe it comes from having parents as teachers ... who knows?) but I wasn't doing this to gain brownie points with the staff ... it was to learn ... and learn I did.

Had my traditional 3 lovely ladies & then I had also a NFR (Not for Resusitation) elderly male who was completely bedridden and dependent on me for food, fluids, everything ... learnt a bit about nasogastric tubes, which was good! And almost straight away I was regreting asking for another patient ... what was I thinking? I was practically running up & down those halls ... just trying to keep my head! But you know what? I had morning tea on time & I even got closer to having lunch on time (1st day, I didn't have lunch till 2:45pm!!) - plan to have that perfect! And even tho I was tired & really hadn't wanted to come in for work this morning (not that I have a choice in the matter!), I kinda had fun ... I enjoyed the patient's company, I enjoyed the my co-worker's company (the song My Sharona is doing the rounds!!! :p), & I learnt a lot! :D

So, it really really sucked when I decided to stay back & help out one of the other New Grads as she was helping her RN with transfers & the new PM RN thought we both didn't know anything & was like a grumpy sergeant!!! Bloody hell!! I look young; I am a New Grad & just because I haven't been working with him all day - he thinks I know crap all!! Bloody hell!! Stop with those stupid boxes!! Allow me to talk; to have my say & you will be surprised by what I am able to do (if any of this sounds at all stuck up just read my previous blog post called: What is our problem?)

By the way: hope you have a fanastic Valentine's Day (or SAD day) - a day to celebrate how you care for others (my own personal twist!!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home