.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ice, Ice, Baby!

Well, the public has been informed that approx. 73, 000 people in Australia are classed as 'ice' addicts.

"The ANCD report, released at the National Press Club, finds that nearly 10 per cent of Australians have tried methamphetamines, a psycho-stimulant drug which goes by the street names ice, speed and base."

When I did some clinical at sexual health & HIV clinics, I was informed about ice ... what I was told was that it is much quicker process to become addicted to ice than to other drugs e.g. heroin. Ice gives a quicker and more advanced high than other drugs and is more easily available than other drugs. Ice has actually been around for a quite awhile but it is only now that it has hit the television media (from my perspective ... which is most likely completely inaccurate due to the amount of times I actually watch the news), and hopefully something will be done.

"More treatment programs are crucial, with only an estimated one-third of methamphetamine addicts receiving help."

Yet upon watching "Requiem for a Dream" recently (it is a bluntly honest movie against the usage of drugs), it was pointed out to me that none of the addicts in the movie actually wished to stop taking the drugs regardless of the circumstances which they started taking the drugs. And it is that point which hits the issue square on the head ... people need to have the desire to change ... starting from the inside and working outwards. Non-addicts also have a responsibility ... to support and nurture people who want to change, who desire to change, who struggle to change.

If you know anyone who is taking drugs, try not to judge them ... peer pressure is a extremely hard thing to stand up to and once they are hooked on the drug ... it really isn't that easy to stop. So please, help your friends, your family, your co-workers change if that is their desire.

2 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

love the song...(damn shows my age)

8:20 PM  
Blogger Becky Daniel said...

i was in the caf today sitting with new people and this guy next to me says, "Steve* was offered drugs yesterday."

We all look at Steve*.

Steve: "Yeah, it was weird. I said I was a Christian, he said he was too. But he still got high, that's how he met god."

thankfully Steve* "just said no."

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home