.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Monday, February 12, 2007

Day 2

Well, let's just say that other watching a brilliant movie "Before Sunrise" & sleeping for 10 hours ... I felt a lot more prepared for my next shift! :D

Again was given 3 patients (thankfully, it was the same ones from yesterday which does make it easier!) & the same staff were on so everything run a lot smoother.

I got assessed to give oral medications and now I can give them unsupervised!

This is completly terrifying ... here is why:

The 5 Rights
Right patient - check arm band, ask pt's name & DOB, & check their special number
Right route - IV, oral, injection, cream, spray etc.
Right dose
Right time
Right drug - ensure the drug is compartiable with other meds too & does not have any ingrediants that the patient is allergic to & double check as drugs have at least 2 names (generic & brand)
(additional rights include: Patient's right to refuse med & Right documentation)
(I check these Rights 3 TIMES before giving the med)

Expiry Date:
Of each med, IV, flush etc.

Allergy of patient:
ask patient
ensure they have a red band if they are allergic to something
ensure it is recorded in all med charts

And then for IVs, I need to ensure special labels are filled in, and I calculate the rate that I want the medication to be delivered in the patient (got to get it right because I don't want to destroy the patient's vein!) & check it all with another RN

And for Schedule 4 or 8 drugs (drugs of addiction) I need to count all the drugs to ensure none have gone walking, double check with another RN, & fill in extra paperwork.

And then there are the Telephone orders, Emergency orders & nurse iniated orders!!!!

Just a little worried ... now, for those of you who know me & know I rarely talk about how much nursing info I know or the fact I avoid nursing questions like the plague & I make out that I actually don't know anything; well, let me actually say that I do ... I do know this stuff!! It is just terrifying that I have to put the stuff I know in theory into practice!! Pressure!! :D

But as a friend pointed out: Today I know more than I did yesterday so I am that much more experienced ... & it does make a difference

But pls don't get sick anytime soon, ok? I really don't want to have to treat anyone close to me just at the moment ... need a couple more days, at least, before that will happen!!! :D

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sharona, I missed your smiling face while taking photos of the nursing students on Monday. All the best with the nursing. I'll try not to get injured, but if I do, I'd prefer to have a friendly face than some know-it-all grumpy-bum :-)

Oh and hey since it's Valentines day I trust you'll have a fantastic day :-D

Ben.

5:25 AM  
Blogger blue nurse said...

Hey Ben!!

Thanks, mate!! :D Yeah, if I had known you were around on Monday, I would have tried to duck down during my lunchbreak or something to say hi! But of course, no longer being a student, I have no idea when things are on etc. BUT I will be heading up your way soonish ... when college starts & I have a shift off!! :D

Hope you had a fanastic Valentines day too!! :D

Shaz

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home