.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

No more interviews!

Well, I had my last interview for the year today! :D

Such a nice relief! From now on, the requirements of my course etc. SHOULD be familiar and even tho time consuming, will be comfortable ... maybe. Clinical isn't exactly the easy life ... but I am comfortable, and familiar and know what is expected of me.

Interviews are just a tad harder ... today's interview was for the NSW Nursing Consortium (one interview informs 10 different hospitals about me and weather I will make a good nures). So, on come the heels (and the rest of the professional outfit!!) and Kylie Anne and I journelled a couple of suburbs for the interview.

At first it appeared like the day would be bad ... what with running to the bus (don't forget those heels), thinking we had missed out train (thank goodness, no), having trouble finding the place (ended up practicaly going around in a circle!), and having my interview brought forward a couple of hrs (I had arrived early because of Kylie's app. but I had expected to wait a while ... allowing for more prep time!!), and realising as I walked into the room just how ill prepared I was!!

But the ladies were so nice and supportive and kept on nodding their heads (That's got to be a good sign, right? Not some terrible nodding disease!). I had basically 6 Qs: What makes a good nurse? How would you ensure a stroke patient could understand you ... communication techniques? What would you do if a patient refused treatment? What would you do if you had to care for a patient who was highly contagious? What ethical issues would be raised with a patient who was receiving an organ transplant? Prioritise these 4 different patients: pt with an epileptic fit, pt needing an urine bottle immediately, pt with pulmonary oedema (fluid in their lungs), and a verbally abusive patient.

It was actually the last one I think i did the worse on: I said the urine bottle first! Nah, just kidding ... but I took ages deciding b/t the pulmonary oedema and the epileptc fit pt ... but in the end I think I did ok. Prioritising my care is definiately an area of improvement. How and what reasons for the prioritising would u have given?

The other questions went well ... I believe ... they kept nodding so I am assuming I was on the right track ... don't really want to think of these lovely ladies as nodding and smiling obsessed people! I mean, that just doesn't sit right with me! :D

Anyway, I am home now and the heels are off!! Thank goodness! Heels, if ever worn, should only be wore for a few hours, at the very least with lots of sitting! That's my advice for all you boys out there who are thinking of wearing heels! :D Just kidding!! :D

Catch ya later! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home