.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ever feel like life SUCKS!!!

Have you ever arrived at a place to participate in a certain activity and discover that you learnt the wrong material? Or are prepared in the wrong way? The questions are not the ones who were expecting? Ever experienced being sick in your gut because you realise you are making a bigger and bigger idiot of yourself?

Welcome to my life!!

I went for my SAN New Grad interview today ... this is the big one. I really want to get into this 12month program at the SAN next year. Really, truly want to!!

And I sucked in the interview! :(

Ok, the points that went well were:
- I looked professional and got compliments from my interviewees
- I gave some good answers

Yeah that's about it.

I came across being so ill prepared! Granted I could have prepared more but it would have just been going into more detail what I had prepared for (make sense?)

I expected to be asked questions like: So why are you doing nursing, tell us a bit about yourself, where do you plan to go with your nursing, your dislikes and likeas about nursing, how would participating in the New Grad program assit you in achieving your aims .... give us some examples of how you dealt with a difficult patient, infection control, OH& S etc.

Well, it was more on what do you know of the SAN, which wards would you like to do your rotations on if you came here, .... an example of difficult patient (good answer but then one of the interviewees thought she knew of the patient .. which made me parioniod that I had changed the story ... I hadn't but it still knocked me off my feet a bit), an example of how I showed my iniative (good question, but for some unknown bloody reason, one I hadn't prepared for ... stumbled but thank goodness for memory ... told about how i took iniative with helping iwth a cardiac attack on the ward!), an example of how I handled a difficult teammember (shoot, another question that they hadn't really told us about before ... one of the interviewess had come to class one day and had basically told us what the questions would generally be able ... yeah, this wasn't one of them ... even though it is a good question and I should have seen it coming ... can you picture me just getting less and less confident and more and more sick in the stomach!! ... stumbled through this one badly and I really should have talked about an bad experience form clinical from a different insitution ... yeah, didn't do such a great job with that question). And then I got to ask questions and then it was over.

I couldn't wait to get out of there. It was terrible!! I wouldn't even hire me after a performance like that!

Okay, maybe I am making out to be a lot worst than it was. I guess the truth of it is that I felt like I appeared ill prepared and that is the last impression I want to give!!

Oh well, the world is desperate for nurses so I guess if not at the SAN then maybe somewhere else!!

Pls, Lord, help me get into the SAN!! Pls!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home