.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Monday, August 14, 2006

So bloody tired!!

Man, oh, man!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (x10!)

I am so bloody buggered!!! (and not in a good way!)

Ok, I have this week off from clinical so I put down that I could work tons of shifts at the roster office ... not actually believing I would get every shift I put down for. Well, so far, I have!!!

Saturday afternoon I did a 6hr PM shift - crazy; Oncology so it was heavy work and sad and just insanely busy!
Sunday morning I did a 6hr AM shift - hadn't really recovered from the night before and this shift was so crazy. It was on Orthopedics (bones and stuff) and I had 5 patients all to myself - any idea how bloody scary that can be when you are not expecting it?! I had to do a number of dressings - which has the whole complicated sterile technique and I always freak out that I will contaminate my sterile field etc. It was just crazy stuff!
And then today I did a double shift!!! Never again!! (Ok, I do realise I am lying but WOW!! It was crazy). I was on the gastrointestinal ward (just think poo!) - 6hrs for each shift with a quick hr nap inbetween. This morning was so crazy - I had 5 patients and one of them had a fall and had to be sent to Radiology because we thought it may have been a fractured hip!! WOW!! And a lady who had MRSA (basically it is this bug which kinda means you have to glove and gown everytime you go in and see them) kept ringing her buzzer!!! Like all the bloody time!!! And I got confused and thought she was being discharged when she wasn't!!! And so she got all confused and anxious and teary because she thought everyone was lying to her (Yes, she is elderly but my goodness, Shaz, if only you had checked this out first!!) Argh!!! Anyway, I had the same patients in my afternoon shift ... except her ... actually I had 6 patients this time!! And it looked like it was going to be a lighter everning shift. Well, we were wrong. Another patient had a cardiac arrest and it was chaos!!! I was very interested but I knew that everyone else was better trained to deal with it (and there were like 10 pp in there at once!!) so another student and I just keep an eye on the rest of the ward. Of course, at that time, three patients came back from theatre!!! Handovers, room changes, extra unexpected patients, let's just say it was CRAZY!!! So, yeah, everyone ended up running late all night. :(
But it is over!!

I don't have to work again till tomorow at noon!!! Doing a 8hr shift but it is more normal hours (12 to 8) in Day Surgery. Haven't worked in Day Surgery yet ... could be in for a crazy shift yet again!!

But just think ... I got a free meal!! When pp do doubles, they get a free meal ticket for the cafe for $10!!! I am happy! Not that I think I will do a double for a long time!

But just think ... experience. I am getting more confident in my interactions with patients, the reading of med charts, the setting up of IV and getting air out of the line (had a bit of a learning experience with that tonight - stressful but fun!), being assertive with staff, doing dressings well, and getting better time management. :D Yeah, there definiately is a plus side to working so much.

But just think ... money, money, money. Saturday and Sunday are good pay and afternoon shifts pay well too.

Yeah, actually, it wasn't all that bad. So, yeah, am bloody tired but am happy. :D

Hope you are looking after yourself and staying out of trouble :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home