.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

blue nurse

A random blog which informs about my life's events, strange insights and the occasion complaint ... if you can handle all that, then maybe we can talk about becoming friends

Name:
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I am a registered nurse, living in Sydney, about to begin my first year of real work. I grew up around the Pacific and have friends from various parts of the world ... mainly AUS, PNG, & USA. Recently I fell in love with travel and would love to do more. I think it would be awesome to have friends in every country and really get to know the locals therefore having a more indepth experience of the culture than just being an average tourist. I have a passion for education, stopping poverty, caring for the elderly, and the freedom for people to have alternative lifestyles. It would be a mad experience to work with the United Nations, Amnesty International or a likewise organisation to help eliminate poverty - I know, I know, bit of a Bleeding Heart and all that ... but I like it. :)

Saturday, August 12, 2006

I am not really a romantic... no, truly, I'm not!

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how You made Them feel." Maya Angelou

I pride myself on being single and independent. I pride myself on not NEEDING someone (wanting is a totally different thing!), on not being co-dependent or not being TOO clingy (I cringe that I actually have been! So bloody annoying!!). I pride myself on being so free.

(I know, I know, it does sound like I don't like romantic and intimate relationships - that is not true! I just pride myself on not NEEDING THEM - I do actually want them - BIG DIFFERENCE!! I can live quite happily without being in an intimate and romantic relationship - it is that which I am so proud of!)

Anyway, enough of my pride!

When I allow myself, I can become very romantic (And yes, I know this does sound strange since I am single - what I mean is, I can appreciate the romance of the situation without actually being in the relationship ... anyway, I am going to stop explaining myself!).

Tonight I saw something that I just thought was so romantic.

I had a shift on Level 6 (Oncology - Cancer). It was an evening shift. It was just a bit crazy but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be since I haven't worked for like, three months!! :D

ANyway, we had this man who is dying of cancer. And his wife is so diligent. And I mean, diligent!! Sometimes she can be demanding and fussy about his care which can be hard for your time management side of nursing but... she was a really nice lady. She had the whole room set up the way they both like it ... had a mini CD player where they played their favourite hymns and low lights and just a really nice atmosphere.

He is having radiotherapy for his cancer ... which has actually affected his bowels ... so, he went like 6 times in the one shift!!! Dude!! That is like, once an hour!!! :(

But that aside, I was just so amazed by the wife; sitting there by his side, holding his hand, stroking his forehead, whispering sweet nothings in his ear ... all the while ... the patient is actually really out of it ... has no idea who anyone is or where he is .... the only thing he knows is:

1) He is in pain
2) He keeps opening his bowels AND
3) His wife is still by his side ... so many years from when they first meet

I know, it may not sound like much and maybe i got swept away by the moment but I just got all romantic. Even the wardsman who was helping me commented to the wife how he would love to have someone as dedicated as her when he was their age. And when he said that, I could safely say that anyone who came in contact with this couple felt the same way!! I heard one of the other nurses actually took a photo of this couple sitting together on the bed on her phone camera!! :D

I don't know ... I just thought the whole thing was just sweet.

So, I do pride on not needing an intimate and romantic relationship ... but man, do I appreciate what dedication, loyalty, love, care, and best friendship can give someone!

P.S. You can actually get all those above mentioned things without being in a romantic "going out" relationship ... which is great! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home